8.20.2011

Literally rambling

I've slept in a sleeping bag nearly every night for the last three months. I prefer it to be this way for now. I don't much like having myself all unpacked and settled in anywhere.

It's not that I'm homeless, or without accommodations, au contraire, I have a room and a bed and a dresser and a closet, but most of the stuff that I use on a daily basis stays neatly arranged in the trunk of my car. It's amazing how little we actually need day in and day out. I've got my toiletries, clean clothes, books and my MacBook. What more do I need?

I never planned on being like this. Growing up, I'd always liked routine and having everything in its right place (Radiohead melody came to mind), but ever since backpacking through Europe and travelling for extended periods of time I've been easily able to live out of a suitcase or backpack. I can't help myself. I like to move. I don't want consistency. I don't want to know what's going to happen tomorrow.

And so that's the way it is right now. I can't imagine that it can always be like this. I'll eventually want a big bed to share with a gorgeous woman and a shelf to place my things on. I'll also need a space to set up my drums and other instruments. That vision is far-off though. I imagine I'll have gray hair by then, I'll drink scotch and smoke a pipe as well. That gorgeous woman will probably think that gray hair is sexy and that drinking scotch is an intelligent man's preferred drink. She'll probably also like to dance wildly while I play the drums. A man can dream!

However, those times aren't yet. These years right now are the rambling years.

I'll sleep in my sleeping bag again tonight, probably outside under the stars. I'll be grateful for right now because this time right now almost seems too good to stay true.



...ramble on...

No comments:

Post a Comment